Sunday, January 31, 2016

The New Addition

Daniel Duane Harris (1854-1930)

Frances Elizabeth Tolton (1859-1930)
Orville's mother was very ill with stomach cancer. His Aunt Frances was here taking care of her. It was a hard and very frustrating situation for a new bride. I couldn't seem to be able to make friends with her, but of course it was because she was ill and not herself.
My own mother had never written to me although I had written to her every week as Apostle Widtsoe had counseled me to do. I kept her up to date on all my activities, omitting only the unpleasant things.
One morning I was feeling very homesick and lonely and on the verge of tears when there came a knock on the kitchen door. When I opened it, there stood one of the sweetest looking ladies I had ever seen. She took one look at my face then stepped inside. She opened her arms and I laid my head on her shoulders and wept. She was the Relief Society President. She was the right person at the right time in the right place. Oh, how glad I was for a sympathetic shoulder and comforting arms.

Orville's mother died December 5 of that year (1930). How cold it was that winter. The temperature was 20 to 30 degrees below zero. I don't think it has ever been that cold since. The icicles hung like a fringe all around the house about 3 feet long. They were there most of the winter. A glass of water by my bed was frozen solid in the morning. About that time I began to realize I must be pregnant. I was happy about that but I wondered if it would be that cold next winter, how I would keep a baby warm.
Our first little daughter was born on July 29, 1931. It had been a very trying summer for me. I was very large and very uncomfortable most of the time. The days were hot and long and the nights were longer because I couldn't sleep much. I spent many nights walking around outside the house so I wouldn't disturb anyone. On the night Ann was born my doctor was out of town so we called Mrs. Williams, the nurse, and she got in touch with the doctor in Milford. The baby was born just after midnight and had to be taken with instruments. I was in my 33rd year. The next day a fever developed and I was quite ill for a few days but in answer to my prayers and with Mrs. Williams' good care I was able to overcome the infection. We named the baby Ann. She was a good baby. She had golden curly hair. She was much loved by her Dad and her Uncle Fay.

No comments:

Post a Comment