Sunday, January 31, 2016

First Christmas Together

My first Christmas in Beaver was a very lonely and disappointing one. I had asked Orville if we could have a Christmas tree (everyone else seemed to be getting one). He said, "what for?". With just the two of us I guess he thought it was wasted effort. On Christmas morning he went outside to do his chores--milking cows, feeding cattle, etc. When he came in for breakfast he found a parcel by his plate. I felt quite excited about it. I had bought him some socks and a tie. He looked at the package for a moment then said, "What is this?" I said, "Open it," which he did. When he saw that it was a present for him he acted as though I had hurt his feelings. I think he felt like I was putting him on the spot because he hadn't thought to buy me anything. I believe Orville's parents and he had not remembered birthdays or anniversaries or holidays for years and were out of the habit.


The Telluride, Beaver, Utah
We had been invited by his cousin, Lillian Thompson, to have Christmas dinner with them. They were living at the Telluride station in the canyon then (Beaver's power plant). 
It was a beautiful drive up to the upper Telluride and their house was so cozy and warm. They had a Christmas tree and their three little boys had about all they could wish for. Lillian had a little gift under the tree for me and I was so touched by her thoughtfulness. I had to shed a few tears. It was childish of me, but I had missed the warmth of other Christmas's and also the old, familiar faces. We didn't have much in our growing-up years but there was always the preparations of trimming the house with holly and mistletoe and colored paper chains, the making of Christmas puddings and the expectancy of a small gift of some kind. I made a promise that if I could help it, there would never again be another empty Christmas, and there never has been.

No comments:

Post a Comment