Tuesday, March 4, 2014

An Angel


      How happy we were when finally the war was over. I remember the day the Armistice was signed. We were all given the day off and it seemed like everyone in town met at the center of town where the Mayor was to speak. There were thousands of people as far as the eye could see, jamming the streets that led out from the center itself. The Lord Mayor stood on a large platform with a megaphone in his hand, using it to speak. He called for three minutes of silence in honor of those who had given their lives. The hush went out from him and gradually went like a wave through the crowd. That was the most impressive silence I have ever experienced. It seemed like an hour. Finally the silence was broken by sobs from people who had lost loved ones and the buglers playing "Taps".

I was still teaching the adult class in Sunday School although I knew so very little of the doctrines of the Church. In looking back over my life I can see how the Lord has molded me to His Gospel pattern, guiding me, keeping me from yielding to temptations which sometimes were almost overwhelming. I was a very lonely girl, eager for love and companionship, and could easily have become attached to the wrong kind of person but I know that the Lord was watching over me.

My father's sight being very poor, I used to read to him from the Standard Works which helped me a lot in my teaching assignment and in explaining the Gospel to others. When I wasn't there he used a large magnifying glass which had been given to him by his nephew, Jim Capel.

My bedroom was upstairs at the back of the house. The small windows opened out like doors and on summer nights I often knelt by the open window looking out over the chimney tops and up at the sky and the stars, wondering what was in store for me. Like every young girl, I wanted to be married and have a home of my own but I could see no prospects in sight for that. There were no young men belonging to the Church in Bristol. Oh, there was Jim Thatcher in Bath, he was quite a dear friend, and there was Walter Smith in Stroud (I didn't care too much for him). As I knelt by my window I used to pray to the Lord to help me change my life, or be content with what I had. Sometimes a sweet peace would envelope me and I seemed to hear the Lord say, "In my good time, my daughter, have patience".

Well, the war was over and very slowly things began to return to normal. The missionaries started to come back into the mission field again. President David O. McKay became President of the European Mission with headquarters in Liverpool and his cousin, James Gunn McKay was President of the British Mission with head­quarters in London.
 I had been home from work for about three weeks recovering from an illness. It was in July or August and the weather was warm and delightful. I was dreading the thoughts of going back to work. One day father received a telegram from President David O McKay, stating that President James Gunn McKay and two missionaries would be arriving in Bristol at 1:00 PM and would someone meet them. So it was natural that I should be assigned to the delightful task since I was perfectly free to do so. When I arrived at Temple Meads Station the next day, the place was thronged with hundreds of people, either disembarking or waiting to embark on the dozens of trains coming and going. I never saw such confusion. Many of these people were American tourists visiting England and Europe after the war.
I stood on top of the steps leading to the overpass and looked down upon that milling throng and wondered how in the world I would be able to find or identify three Mormon missionaries. I leaned against the railings and offered up silent prayer for help. Once more I looked over the hundreds of heads going to and fro or just standing, then I saw them, three of them standing at the foot of the stairs. The tallest and oldest of the three looked up and waved. It seemed we recognized each other at once. They seemed to be set apart from the rest of the people, like angels I thought. I went down to meet them. President McKay came toward me with extended hand saying, "Are you Sister Neal?".
 Later President McKay told me that when he saw those crowds of people at the station and not knowing who would be there to meet them, he too offered a silent prayer that the Lord would guide them. Then he said to the two elders, "Let us go over there by the steps of the overpass and wait." As soon as they arrived at the foot of the stairs, President McKay said, "As I looked up and there you were, like an angel, I thought that must be Brother Neal's daughter". And so the Lord guides and answers, especially when we ask Him.

         President McKay and the two Elder Hanson's (not related) stayed in Bristol a week. They called on all members active and inactive and invited them to a special meeting for the purpose of reorganizing the Branch. That was one of the most spiritual meetings I have ever attended. My father was again set apart as Branch President. When I was being set apart I was given a very special blessing for the recovery of my health after my recent illness; also that the Lord would fulfill all the righteous desires of my heart. I became very close to President and Sister McKay while they were in England, accompanying them on their many visits to places around Bristol.

No comments:

Post a Comment