Thursday, September 26, 2013

A Lesson in Procedure


In [1912] a new family joined the Church. It was a three-generation family consisting of a Mrs. Bryant who was a widow and her three daughters. The oldest daughter was divorced and she had two daughters. 
President George F. Richards
About this time we had another conference and President George F. Richards was to attend and reorganize our little branch. The Branch President, William Caswell, was to be released. His wife, Mary, was a very peculiar person. She waited outside the hall that Sunday morning and as the Bryant family and myself approached she came to meet us. She explained that her husband was to be treated unjustly by being deprived of this office. I've forgotten all she told us but, as we all liked Brother Caswell, we felt sorry for him. She told us to vote against his release. Being ignorant of Church procedure we thought that would be all right. I shall never forget the look on President Richard's face when we raised our hands in opposition to his proposal to release Brother Caswell. I knew I had done something very wrong and there was such an awful spirit there I could have wept. I have never wanted to ever place myself in such a position again. It taught me and the Bryant family a very valuable lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment