Thursday, March 14, 2013

May Festival


Mock Orange Blossom
We were going through a period of depression at this time and there was much poverty and distress all around us. Thousands of men were out of work. The Church of England had a soup kitchen and people would stand in line with their kettles and bowls every day. My father became unemployed but we were pretty hungry before my mother would permit us to stand in line for soup.
Hawthorne Blossoms
Each year about the middle of May our school held a May Festival. A queen was chosen according to scholarship ability and her behavior. The next who were acceptable became her maids of honor and there were twelve attendants. That year I was between the age of twelve and thirteen and was chosen as a maid of honor. I was so astonished, but so happy, when my name was called. I almost flew home to tell Mother the good news. She was happy for me and offered to make me a new dress. It had to be white with a yellow sash. I was to carry a basket of flowers and wear a crown of flowers. It so happened that Father was working in a little country town in Somerset called East Harptree at the time. When he heard my happy news he offered to send me all the flowers I needed. The spring flowers were all abloom in the fields--cowslips, primroses, daffodils, bluebells, mock orange blossoms, bridal wreath, large moon daises, and hawthorne blossoms called May. The day before the festival, a large box of these flowers arrived by special carrier and after Mother and I had selected all the flowers I needed, I took the rest to school to share with the other girls. The teachers were delighted. I think I was the most popular girl in school for a while, and I know I was the happiest.

Bridal Wreath
The festival was held outside if the weather permitted, and this day happened to be warm and sunny. Each class in the school braided the Maypole with colored ribbons, dancing in various rhythms to form different patterns they had practiced for weeks. There were also other dances like the Minuet and Sir Roger DeCoverly. At the crowning of the Queen the whole school sang, "We hail the Queen of May, on this our festal day, We hail thee, we hail thee, fair queen of merry May", etc.

Then I was called upon to recite a poem called:
 

Cowslip
THE MAY QUEEN
You must wake and call me early, 
Call me early mother dear,
For tomorrow is the happiest day
Of all the glad new year,
Of all the glad new year, Mother,
The maddest, merriest day.
For I'm to be Queen of the May, Mother.
I'm to be Queen of the May

 

There were 8 or 10 verses. I've forgotten who the author of this poem was. I felt like the girl in the poem. This was the maddest, merriest day, one that I cherished in my heart for many years.




1 comment:

  1. Love the pictures of the flowers. It's fun to imagine Grandma wearing a crown of them.

    ReplyDelete